Often in caves that drop as low as a mile below the surface, these ghastly white dwarves spend the entirety of their lives in dark caves, harvesting mushrooms and tillweed that grow near spouts of magma. They average from 4' to 4'6", and then men are always stout and bearded, while the women are... stout and not-bearded.
Life underground is made easier for the deep dwarves by a number of adaptations. Deep Dwarves can see in complete darkness, though this vision is only in black and white. Their hardiness has saved them from countless structural collapses and run-ins with underground beasts, and they are capable of carrying heavier than average loads. Their connection to stone makes them better at spotting unusual stonework and appraising its value.
- +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, deep dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet, however they may move this speed regardless of whether they are wearing medium or heavy armor or if they are carrying a medium or heavy load.
- Darkvision: Deep dwarves can see in black and white for up to 60 feet in pure darkness.
- Stonecunning: +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, and a +2 to appraisal of stone. A deep dwarf within 10ft of unusual stonework is entitled to a search check as if he had been looking for it.
- A deep dwarf can intuit depth just as easily as humans can intuit up or down.
- Weapon Familiarity: Deep dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes and urgroshes as martial weapons.
- Stability: A deep dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground.
- +2 racial bonus against poisons and spells & spell-like effects.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs, goblinoids, and underground creatures.
- +2 racial bonus to Knowledge(dungeoneering) checks and Knowledge(nature) checks when pertaining to underground matters.
- A deep dwarf may cast Stone Shape as the spell once per day, at a caster level equal to their hit dice.
- Light sensitivty: While in areas of daylight or brighter, a deep dwarf takes a -1 penalty to attack and deal damage, as well as search and spot checks.
- Automatic languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus languages: Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.